UPDATE: Letters submitted after noon on Tuesday, April 16, will be mailed rather than hand-delivered on Lobby Day.
Please sign on to the letter below and we will print and hand-deliver it to your state legislators on the Wisconsin Business Alliance Lobby Day, April 17, 2013. If you want to attend Lobby Day in person, please register here.
Dear State Senator / Assembly Representative: [Your letter will be addressed to the appropriate legislators]
I’m a business owner in your district, and I’m writing to encourage you to help improve Wisconsin’s business climate by supporting public education, renewable energy, and broadband access.
Along with other business owners around the state, I’m asking you to support the following provisions:
Our public schools are the heart and soul of our communities. If our schools fail, our communities — and our businesses — suffer the consequences.
- Please remove all privatization proposals (vouchers and private charter schools) from the state budget.
- Please provide all Wisconsin schoolchildren with a $250 increase in per-pupil funding.
As a business owner and utility customer, I support policies that expand opportunities to access renewable energy. More than 20 states (including Illinois, Michigan, California, Colorado, Missouri and New Jersey) expressly allow third-party ownership of renewable energy systems on a customer’s premises. Clean Energy Choice embraces the virtues of customer choice, fiscal responsibility, property rights and social responsibility. It is a policy tool that allows citizens to exercise their preferences for renewable energy at no extra cost to ratepayers and taxpayers.
- Please support the Clean Energy Choice initiative.
Decades ago, our state’s leaders literally paved the way for the Wisconsin dairy industry’s success by paving nearly every road that led to a dairy farm. This was a tremendous government investment and it paid off not only for dairy farmers, but also for their communities and our state as a whole. Today, you have a similar opportunity to help businesses in Wisconsin’s small towns and rural areas form connections to the larger world.
- Please protect and expand WiscNet, the low-cost internet service provider that has reliably served our small-town schools, hospitals, libraries, and universities for more than 20 years.
- In areas where WiscNet isn’t available, I encourage the state to work with private internet service providers to ensure reliable access at fair prices.
Thank you for your attention to these important business matters. I look forward to your response.
[Your name, business name, and address as entered below]